Friday, November 03, 2006

Post Production: Alright, Already


I think that it's Friday. I'm not sure and its hard to tell because when I'm not working its really hard for me to keep track of dates. I didn't even get out of bed until 6:30pm today which means my schedule will be wacked out for the next three days. The worst part of that is I missed early voting today which means I'll have to go next Tuesday with everyone else. I'm programming my phone to remind me or else I'll miss that too.
I've spent a lot of time this week trying to decide what the next steps are for me as a producer. We finished shooting the short last Friday and managed to get everything in those five days except for one little scene that will be picked up next Tuesday. I still can't believe how well the whole production went. I've wanted to produce a short and have tried twice unsuccessfully over the last two years, so when I began this project I assumed I would face a lot of the same problems I dealt with on previous attempts. I think it speaks loads about the merit of this project that none of the problems that have become hurdles in the past reared their heads.
We were able to raise almost enough money with minimul effort on our part. We've recently discovered a website called Revver which hosts content we provide (in our case, outtakes) and shares a portion of the revenue generated when viewers click on the advertisements at the end of the clip. Here's one of the outtakes:





This is a great discovery for us and has got Josh and Craig really excited about creating more content for the revver site. I've been trying to encourage them to submit Soft Shoe for a few smaller festivals as well in attempt to generate interest in our upcoming, as yet untitled, short. Since its already been available for viewing online for a few months, I don't see any point in premiering it at South By Southwest, which I think is their plan. I think it will detract from the excitement for the untitled short.
Aside from that, I'm having a hard time figuring out what my role as producer now entails. I'm working on thank you stuff for the various people who helped make the movie possible. Adrienne is working on the press kit. I guess I should just continue researching festivals and marketing/distribution opportunities. Oh, and I need to start planning our spring fundraiser.
I guess that's enough to keep me busy for now. I'm looking forward to going back to work already, I don't realy operate that well without some sort of structure to my day. Tonight I'm going to really push myself and try to finish cleaning my apartment.

No comments: