Saturday, December 02, 2006

Throwing in the Towel, for Tonight

The dishwasher installation has reached a standstill. I can't mess with it anymore today. I started working on it at 11 am and its now 10pm. After having an impossible time trying to remove the old dishwasher (I had to pull of some of the tiles in the kitchen to get it out), the new dishwasher went in and was a piece of cake to hook up, but now the hot water shut off valve won't re-open: the threads are corroded and the bolt is too stripped to turn. I'll have to have the landlord shut off the main water inline tomorrow and then replace the entire valve unit, reattach the washer and then hope there are no leaks.
In a previous post I talked about one of the cons of my apartment was that the dishwasher was old and stinky and had a colony of roaches living in it. I talked with the landlord about this and he agreed that we should replace the dishwasher. I knew I could do it myself and offered to do so as an incentive for him to reimburse me for the materials. Same agreement went for the sink. I found a dishwasher on craigslist and a sink at home depot and was ready to go to town today until the hot water valve kinked my plans.
Meanwhile, my dishes are piling up and I really just want to be done with it. OVerall it has been a good experience. I knew I would be able to do it I just didn't realize how much trouble it would really be. Especially with the old dishwasher being blocked into the hole by poor construction. I haven't even started on the sink yet, I was waiting until I got the dishwasher running before I removed my only other means of cleaning my dishes. I guess I could wash them in the tub, but that sounds as gross as I'm sure it actually would be. By the time I'm done with the place its going to be a veritable palace. Probably this will happen a few weeks before I have to move out.

No comments: