Sunday, November 25, 2007

Revelation

The small moments in the lives of ordinary people can be so fascinating. I spent the weekend back home, more specifically in my grandmother's hospital room, and listened as people poured in to spend one last afternoon reminiscing. They talked of people I had never heard of, or of distant relatives I vaguely knew, or brought up familiar names paired with a tidbit I had never known. This has happened before and I wished each time that I had some sort of recording device so that I could remember the details later, but I think the point is that these tiny glimmers of immortality erupt and immediately erode. They pass with the people who remember them, their only relic a tinted photograph of people who have lost their names and stories to time.

No comments: