Thursday, April 13, 2006

Duh. or The Perils of Idealism.

It never ceases to amaze: The world, our world, filled with misery and angst. The classic cliche of the 9 to 5 world. The chance to escape that cliche to do something non-transient, challenging, and sometimes meaningful. This opportunity which I relish.

I'm talking about having a career in the film industry. Yet for some, dare I say most, this is just another job! It strikes me as terribly hard to believe that one would submit oneself to the grueling hours, the insurmountable stressors, and constant clash of different personalities just to earn a paycheck. Certainly, these characteristics are true of many jobs, but they are multiplied exponentially in the film world. And yet the further I get involved with the industry, the more 'big' projects I work on, the more I realize that this is the norm and I am the anomaly.

I would not have myself in any other place and I have struggled to get where I am now and also to go further, yet I wonder if it is as appreciated by those who consider this 'just a job'. Does this set me apart and above? or just make me strange? I had drinks tonight with 3 ladies whom I hold in the highest esteem, and yet I suspect for they care nothing for the project they help create. I can only say that I think I am the better off for caring about the art and the craft, because my satisfaction at the close of a project is multifold: not only have I had a had in a tangible creation, but my wallet is fatter as a result.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only does it make you strange, Meg, it makes you LUCKY (this is Alison - don't feel like getting a username).